Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Superman Returns "My faith again in Comic Book Movies"


Let me just say that I had lost most faith in Comic book movies all together. While Spiderman 2 and Xmen 2 helped pick me up a bit, I was not fully convinced they could pull off an excellent, true to the comic story, until I saw Batman Begins. In a single stroke they recreated the idea of a Superhero movie as being charater driven.

So I certainly feared Superman knowing it had the potential to suck royal and be filled with CGI and special effects but no substance.

I am happy to say this is not the case. I will not give anythine away about the plot or subplot, but I will say I loved the movie overall. It had great characters and a good story. It took a few liberties from the comics which work if you ever saw Superman 1 and 2 with Christohper Reeves as this movie is clearly not only an homage to those two films, but practically a dricet sequel. It take story elements from both of the first two films and pulls off something that Lucas failed to do. Take a 20+ year old movie and make a sequel/prequel that looks, feels, and respects the original.

Brandon Routh was very good as the Boy in Blue - having some inflections of Reeves Clark Kent, but just enough of his own style to not be a copy cat.

Kevin Spacey is a genious as Lex Luthor (No pun intended) as pulls off the super-genious/mad criminal in what I consider absolute perfection.

The rest of the characters are mostly sub-plot and fill the gps well. I especially liked the actor who played Jimmy the photographer for his little spouts of comedy in this darker (not Batman dark) Superman tale.

5 Stars for patinf respect to the Original 2 films.
An extra star for pretending 3 and 4 never existed.

10 stars for taking me by surprise (See the film to understand the polot twist)

In the end great to see on the big screen with the original opening credits style from the 1970's film and the original Jown Williams score.

Fans of the original should love this. New folks as well while ont the hard core fans may not like the "minor" deviation from the comics the movies has taken, but hey, considering how Hollywood was farked up so many films, this is nothing and still stays true to the original characters.

There is no denying, this was a great fun film and more exciting to me after 20+ years to see that Huge Red S on the screen as Krypton Explodes then the last movie I waited 20 years for that started with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home