Tuesday, May 23, 2006

It was killing season

On my way to a wedding Saturday a bird flew right in front of the truck and clipped it. In the rear view I saw it floundering and thought, "My DJ's wife is about to give birth and I just killed a bird. Like the Albatross I am totally screwed.

Anyway, Sean's wife (He's the DJ) was OK and Sean played a great show. Maybe Karma was on my side or God just hates birds. Who knows.

But that's not all.

Sunday I helped my buddy Mike (Who was with me shen I clipped the bird) rotovate a section of his yard. Suddently as we churned up earth I saw a large tuft of fur float by. To my surprise a small animal lay dead by our feet.

At first we thought it was a mouse (No Biggy) but then as we went in closer we noticed it was a baby rabbit (Eyes still closed and about the size of a small mouse)

WORSE?

Oh yes, we hit the whole damn nest without knowing. The next 10 minutes were spent pulling 6-7 dead (and some chewed up) baby rabbits out.

To my horror (worse then killing them by mistake) is one was still alive, but badly hurt. We placed them all in a bucket while we figured out what to do and the live one (cut pretty bad) slowly pulled itself to his brethren to stay warm and die with dignity. We waited a little bit hoping he would go fast, when it was clear he was in pain and struggling, we sped up the process out of some form of sympathy and broke it's neck (OK, Mike did this, I just dont have the stones)

They were burried in his yard and marked with a large stone.

What a crappy weekend. Especially for the wildlife.

Lesson? When Mike is around, animals die. Beware!

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

OMG...it just kept getting worse and worse! Dave--please don't ever come by my house. I love my puppy too much for him to be by you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home